Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Google Search had another indexing issue throughout last night and today. Google also has an issue with indexing recipe content. Google Core Web Vitals will switch to international to next paint on March 12. Google says don’t worry about the link spam email requests. Google Business Profiles can now let you scan your products in with barcode scanners. Google is testing a new shopping menu in its search results.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
Google Search Working On Fixing Indexing Issue
Google has confirmed it is working on resolving an indexing issue that it says is “affecting a small number of sites.” Google said that some “sites may experience slower than usual indexing times.” The search company is looking to “identifying the root cause” and hopes to fix the issue soon.
Google Search Also Having Issues With Recipe Sites
Not only is Google having indexing issues this morning, but Google has been having issues with showing recipes in the carousel and images of recipes in search over the past several weeks. Google is finally responding to some of those concerns, but there is no estimated time for a fix.
March 12 Interaction to Next Paint Will Become A Google Core Web Vital
Google has announced that March 12, 2024 will be the official date for when Interaction to Next Paint (INP) will replace First Input Delay (FID) as a Core Web Vital metric. We knew it was coming in March but we didn’t have the specific date until now.
Google Search Tests Shopping Menu For Home, Orders, Settings & More
We all have been seeing Google Search become more and more e-commerce and shopping-heavy. Well now we are seeing Google testing a specialized menu just for shopping features in the search results.
Google Says Mark Those Link Request Emails As Spam & Don’t Worry
Google’s John Mueller said that you don’t need to worry about those spammy emails you get asking to buy or trade links based on a certain DA or other link score. Instead, just report them as spam in your email box and move on with your day.
Google Business Profiles: Add Products With Barcode Scanner
Google Business Profiles now lets you add products to your business profiles and merchant centers section using a barcode scanner; Google will even mail you a free barcode scanner. This allows you to showcase in-store products on Google Search & Maps in a more efficient way.
Google Bench Seating From Wall
Here is another photo from the Google office in New York City. This is from the Grow with Google side where they have a presentation area where the seating is made up of levels of wood attached to the wall.
Other Great Search Threads:
- AI Chatbot for Ads creation spotted!, Thomas Eccel
- An FAQ on Consent Mode for Google advertisers: Following our update on consent mode, we got lots of great questions about it and the actions advertisers need to consider – by March! I’ve rounded up the top FAQs in a thread below, AdsLiaison on X
- Exciting Opportunity Alert! We’re on the lookout for a technically super strong Engineering Leader to lead our Web Crawler team and so bingbot. You will dive into cutting-edge challenges of dealing wi, Fabrice Canel on X
- New: Google Ads tries to persuade you now with Search volume trends inside “Raise your budget” Recommendation. “You may not be keeping up with the demand”, Thomas Eccel on X
- Schema have just released v25.0: – Added Certification to allow the specification of certifications for places, organizations, products, and persons – Added colorSwatch – Added KeepProduct for ReturnMethodEnumeration https://t.co/lxT, Alex Moss on X
- This is by design, so that sites can log, allow, disallow access for the various tools., John Mueller on X
- This is the language translation timing only – if you set the browser language to English, you should be able to see and sign up to Pro. Will soon be available in many more languages., Mikhail Parakhin on X
- Yes, we are running tests on GPT-4-Turbo side., Mikhail Parakhin on X
- Yes, language change should make it work almost everywhere. We are adding all the major languages soon., Mikhail Parakhin on X
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
Have feedback on this daily recap; let me know on Twitter @rustybrick or @seroundtable, on Threads, Mastodon and Bluesky and you can follow us on Facebook and on Google News and make sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts or just contact us the old fashion way.